April 8, 2009

Oh, the privilege of ignorance...

A couple of nights ago, my husband came home from work and had to unlock the door (again), so he asked "Why do you always lock the door when you are home?!"

I don't think I know a single woman who doesn't know the answer to that question.

Some women either don't realize that they are oppressed, or they don't accept it. However, I have yet to meet a woman who does not asknowledge the power men have over women.

I lock the door for the same reason I pick up the pace when I hear footsteps behind me, or don't walk alone in the dark - out of fear - fear of violation. I have been programmed to fear men and what they can (and some will) do. I need to protect myself and my son. My husband has the luxury (privilege) of not experiencing that fear. He may fear other things, but never a violation in his home by a strange man.

3 comments:

  1. He may not "fear" violation, but it is common sense to keep your doors locked, no matter your gender.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Anonymous that it is common sense for everyone to lock their doors. Home invasions do happen, and when criminals take you by surprise even guys are more vulnerable.

    Still, I am amazed that any guy would be so clueless as to ask a woman why she locked the door behind her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a lot of men, when they think about the possibility of home invasion kind of go "meh, they won't come in if they know someone is home" whereas, as women, we realize that there's something more "valuable" inside the home than just our TV's.

    ReplyDelete