April 12, 2009

Jesus died on the cross to save my sins? Oh, wait... nope. Crap.

So, it's Easter. All media outlets are dutifully relaying messages of Popes and pilgrimages. As with Christmas, non-Christians are being inundated with Christian messaging, ideals, and values. You are saved. I get it.
Thankfully, unlike at Christmas, our ears are not flooded with hymns in public places. And fortunately, also like Christmas, there is a secular option.

Many Christians I encounter are not aware of the privilege they are afforded in my society. However, non-Christians are well aware. Recently, I saw a sign from my car that read: "Give Jesus a try. If you don't like him, the devil will take you back." Oh! Lucky me! I get the devil. The irony of that statement is that, because I don't believe in God, I don't believe in the devil. It became amusing.
But what if you believe in God (Muslims, Jews, for example). Does that mean are you doomed to damnation? Of course that is what it means. That sign is an exercise in Christian arrogance that continues to amaze me.

Now, not all Christians adhere to that mentality; there are different interpretations of the Bible, etc. We know that. The point is, however, that the sign is allowed to exist without any scrutiny or question. But, when an 'atheist' bus ad surfaces, all Hell breaks loose! (must be the devil taking back those damned non-believers).




No comments:

Post a Comment